Supporting locums through Revalidation
The Locum Consultancy provide revalidation support to locum doctors, ensuring you are able to continue to work in the UK.
Revalidation is a mandatory requirement for all doctors who wish to maintain a licence to practise in the UK, as stipulated by the General Medical Council (GMC).
We understand Revalidation can take a considerable amount of time, so to lessen some of the pressure; we will guide you through the process step-by-step, ensuring you’re up to speed and fully prepared.
Are you ready for Revalidation?
To continue practising in the UK, locum doctors are required to Revalidation once every 5 years and to prepare for Revalidation the GMC requires you to participate in an annual appraisal and collect feedback from colleagues and patients once every 3 years.
What can TLC offer you?
TLC can offer you a complete package to ensure you have everything you need to Revalidate and are provided with an unrivalled level of service through your appraisal and colleague/patient feedback. The package includes:
- One appraisal conducted by a fully trained, accredited and certified appraiser
- Appraisal venue in a location most convenient for you
- Access to the market’s leading appraisal software
- An appraisal appointment when it suits you best
- One 12 month licence to the market’s leading revalidation portal
- Responsible Officer reviewing all appraisal output forms for the entire Revalidation process
- Free on-going advice and support from TLC’s dedicated Revalidation Support Team
- 360 degree patient and colleague feedback facility
- Step-by-step Doctor 360 user guide
- Fully trained Doctor 360 Support Team
How much will it cost?
TLC doesn’t adopt a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to Revalidation and appraisals, therefore the price of each appraisal conducted will differ according to the variables above. However we estimate the cost to be around £499+VAT per appraisal.
In order to prepare for your appraisal, you should create a portfolio containing the following:
- A list of posts undertaken including exact dates
- 360 Colleague and Patient Feedback, Assessment Forms and any Letters from Patients
- Exit Reports and References
- Incident Reports and Complaints
- CPD/CME Activities i.e. courses, conferences, meeting, training, research, teaching, audits etc.
- Log Book and verified record of clinical activities
- Log on to your GMC account to select a designated body for Revalidation
- Participate in an annual appraisal
- Collect Colleague and Patient Feedback once every 3 years
- The GMC will contact your Responsible Officer 6 weeks prior to your Revalidation Date
- Your Responsible Officer will review all of your documentation and make a recommendation on your behalf to the GMC for your Revalidation
- Your GMC licence will be renewed by the GMC enabling you to continue to practice in the UK
- You will gain more confidence in your practice and ensure patient safety
- You will receive better job opportunities
- You have the potential to receive higher rates of pay
- You will have the opportunity to progress in your career
If you are a doctor in training, please provide TLC with your year assessment forms.
There are six types of supporting information that you will be expected to provide and discuss at your appraisal at least once in each five year cycle. They are:
- Continuing professional development
- Quality improvement activity
- Significant events
- Feedback from colleagues
- Feedback from patients (where applicable)
- Review of complaints and compliments
The nature of the supporting information will reflect your particular specialist practice and your other professional roles.
If you wish to work abroad on a permanent basis, you will not need to go through the revalidation process. However, should you wish to continue to hold your licence to work in the UK, you are required to engage in revalidation.
- If you have not prepared for revalidation by participating in an annual appraisal and collecting feedback from patients and colleagues, the GMC will not renew your licence to practice.
- Hospitals will decline applications from Doctors who are not participating in annual appraisals as there is a growing number of Dr’s who are keeping up to date.
If you do not arrange for your appraisal to be carried out before the deadline, the GMC will assume that you are not engaging in the process. They will then issue you with a formal warning. If you still choose not to engage in the process, the GMC has the authority to refuse you the right to continue holding a licence to work in the UK.
Please supply any documentation you do have to show you have been keeping your knowledge and skills up to date. However, if you do not currently have any relevant documents, please contact TLC to discuss this.
Questions & Queries
If you have any questions regarding the Revalidation process, please contact your recruitment consultant or TLC’s Revalidation Support Team.
We look forward to supporting you through revalidation and continuing to provide you with the very best service.